Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Magic of Scouts

Hey everyone.  I apologize for not posting lately.  I have been working so much I find it difficult to get at the keyboard long enough.  But I do have pleanty to write about.

We are currently in week two of scout camp: really it's week three for staff.  And this has been such an amazing week already.  Sunday my home troop arived.  The water was choppy due to incomming storms, so not many of them managed to pass their swim test.  The following day, however, several did; this includes Sam.  See, Sam is autistic.  Passing this test was a huge achievement for him.  It's not the fact that he managed to pass he test that really amazed me, though.  It was how supportive, how excited the rest of the troop was for this achievement.

That night was the Fourth of July and, like all good scouts, we always find a reason to celebrate.  The orrigional plan was to go up Black Cap mountain and watch the Bongor fireworks.  At the last minute, Josh and I decided not to go.  We turned around and went up a different mountain.  With Abdulla and Katie, we grabbed my guitar and trecked up to Mountain View campsite.  There we started a fire, enjoyed the company, and sung campfire songs until one in the morning. 

Finally, yesterday braught what I have been working towards for nine years.  I finally sat on my Eagle Board.  I was surprisingly calm going in, and we were all joking and having a good time throughout the board.  And the great news came: I passed.  I'm still on a happy high from last night.  This morning, it was announced at breakfast.  And here again shows the amazing thing about scouts -- the unfailing support you recieve.  The announcment was followed by an eruption of aplause and cheering, a large amount coming from people who don't even know me.  A co-worker even came over, picked me up, and carried me back to my table.

So I leave you with some thank yous and a final thought.  First I would like to thank mom and dad.  There are many times where I would not have remained in scouting were it not for them.  The second thank you is for Rod Cherrette.  Rod has always been there by my side no matter what.  He's always been availible to talk or give me advice.  He even stepped in as my Eagle advisor when my dad and I started to have some differences.  FInally is a general thank you:  to my leaders, my friends, my mentors and my teachers.  None of this could have happened without them.

So here's my thoughts.  Some people go through life just taking the open doors.  They are to afraid to find their own paths.  But others, the successful people, find the hard to reach doors.  They find ways to get them open, then explore the other side.  But no one can open every door by themselves.  The only reason they can do this is because of the support they recieve.  So open all the doors you get, you may be surprised as to what's on the otherside.  Now it's time to get my Ranger award, eh?

1 comment:

  1. Dear son, you are welcome! We are so proud of you and what you have accomplished.
    Ranger award? Go for it!
    ♥MOM

    ReplyDelete