Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Dangers of the Water Front.

Today brought onto me an interesting expirience, as well as an opportunity to present a story. Let me present the scene. It's cloudy. The sun is completely hidden from view, creating a dark, erie area. The wind is strong, probably about 20 mph. As a result, the water is wavy, easily five or six inches. The wind also brought the 54 degree weather down to feeling around 40. And there's me: floating face down in the water. The second wave (one of the rescue dive teams) swims by me. The first wave (the other dive team) is close behind. It's Issac Walton, of the First Wave that found me. I vaguely remember being turned over. Issac's well trained technique using my arms to support my neck in case of a spinal injury. He moves swiftly, bring me to the dock and sliding me onto the backboard. Another set of hands grabs onto my neck, securing my neck from moving still. I hear their muffled voices through the water, struggling to make out a word hear and there. A strap tightens around my chest. More follow: my feet, knees, and waist. The yelling around me is almost constant, although the wind and water make it impossible for me to make sence of much of it. The head support is set into it's place, and the forehead and chin straps are put tightly into place. The yelling that follows is actually somewhat clear to me, as they pull me, on the backboard, out of the water. I feel ands on my neck and chest as I'm checked for a pulse and breathing. I hear the words "He's alive" come into my mind through the water in my ears. The straps are pulled off me and I'm quickly wrapped in a blanket and towel and they help me up, bring me to the water from pavilion. Now, all this was nearly a drill: I was a victim, but a willing victim. The point of this, though, is that the efficiency and skill that these lifeguards worked with would have saved my life had the threat been real. Every one of these people is a friend, every one a coworker, every one ready and willing to put their wellbieng and safety and comfort on the line to save someone in need.

This, my friends, is the Boy Scouts of America: making heroes and life changes out of evey person that joins. Instilling the values and beliefs that allowed these people to get into the 57 degree water to help a person in need. Have a nice night, my friends, and safe camping.

5 comments:

  1. I forgot my quote of the day. So here it is, on a light note: "when they first came out with [youth protection] they called it 'child abuse training'"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, learn to spell. Very moving post. Glad you're not dead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You scared me! Love you, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...I actually thought you were dying....DONT DO THAT EVER AGAIN....<3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job making us feel as if we were there, Noah! Hope I can keep up with this for the summer. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete